Inquiry into recognition of Defence Force personnel who served as peacekeepers from 1947 onwards
- ADF members who serve on peacekeeping or peace making operations are recognised with the AASM or ASM. The Tribunal considered whether there should be any separate or additional recognition for peacekeeping operations.
- Submissions closed on 21 December 2009.
- The report was presented to the PARLSEC on 1 March 2011. The Report was released to the Tribunal’s website on 1 April 2011.
- In July 2011, advice was received that the Government had accepted the following Tribunal recommendations in this matter:
- Recommendation 1: No change be made in the present practice of an award of the ASM or AASM being the appropriate form of recognition for participation by ADF personnel in peacekeeping operations.
- Recommendation 2: The Australian Government should not establish a new medal for general or specific recognition of peacekeeping service, to be awarded to ADF personnel who have taken part, or in the future take part, in peacekeeping operations.
- Recommendation 3: No action be taken by the Australian Government to recognise the award of the 1988 Nobel Peace Prize to UN peacekeepers.
Media Release – Announcement of Inquiry
Terms of Reference