Inquiry into Recognition of Australian Defence Force Service in Somalia between 1992 and 1995
- The Tribunal considered a range of recognition issues relating to ADF service in Somalia, including a campaign medal, awarding of the Australian Active Service Medal to HMA Ships TOBRUK and JERVIS BAY and recognition for 1st Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment.
- Submissions closed on 24 August 2009.
- The report was presented to the then Minister for Defence (MINDEF) on 5 July 2010. On 16 July 2010 MINDEF advised the Chair that the Government had accepted the following recommendations in this matter:
- The Tribunal recommends that the original CGS Commendation not be upgraded to that of a MUC.
- The Tribunal recommends that a campaign medal for service in Somalia 1992-1995 not be struck.
- The Tribunal recommends the upgrade of the ASM (Clasp SOMALIA) that was awarded to HMAS Tobruk ship’s company to the award of the AASM (Clasp SOMALIA).
- The Tribunal recommends that HMAS Jervis Bay ship’s company be awarded the AASM (Clasp SOMALIA).
- The Tribunal recommends that members of HMAS Tobruk or HMAS Jervis Bay deployed to Somalia between 1992 and 1993 not be considered for the award of the UN Medal because they were not assigned to the United Nations nor did they meet the 90 day eligibility criteria.
- The Tribunal recommends that the Australian Government not approach the UN to alter the eligibility criteria for the UN Medal.
- The Tribunal recommends that a Meritorious Unit Citation not be considered for the Australian Service Contingent of UNOSOM II.
- The Tribunal recommends no changes be made to the current policy of one award per operational service.
- The Tribunal recommends that no further consideration of additional distinguished service awards be made for either UNITAF or UNOSOM II.
- The Tribunal recommends that no changes be made to the extant policy for visitors or members not force assigned.
- On 18 April 2011 the Government announced its acceptance of the Tribunal’s recommendations.
Media Release – Announcement of Inquiry
Terms of Reference
Media Release – Announcement of the acceptance of the Tribunal’s recommendations